Meditation has become widely known over the past few years in the western society. We are encouraged to meditate for many reasons, with STRESS being one of the main factors.
Taking up a regular practice (with guidance) can encourage and help reduce the heart rate and blood pressure, aid with concentration and promoting general wellbeing along with many more valuable benefits.
Multiple techniques are offered to make different styles of meditation accessible to all. The breath is a perfect starting point to begin your journey towards meditation, especially if you are already following principles of the Traditional Hatha Yoga system.
Meditation can be done by anyone who has the time and dedication, all it requires is your self, a comfortable seat, quiet space and may be ten minutes of free time.
I would like to share and introduce a few simple steps towards basic meditation.
1. Find a comfortable seat, quiet space (with no distraction) and set your alarm for 10 minutes.
2. Keep your spine long and straight, avoid lying down.
3. Close your eyes and become aware of your body. Relax!
4. Bring awareness to the breath.
5. Allow your mind to settle on the inhalation and the exhalation.
6. When you catch the mind somewhere else other than the breath, gently and kindly bring your attention back to the breath.
7. Try and repeat this daily for ten minutes. Be patient with your self some days will be better than other days.
I encourage you to find an experienced teacher to begin deeper meditation. Working under a teacher in my opinion is very important for true instruction, it will not only support you on your journey but it will also make sure that your meditation technique is carried out correctly.
I hope this helps you on your journey through yourself to yourself!